[3830] CQWW SSB HP3SS SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 11:10:41 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: HP3SS
Operator(s): HP3SS
Station: HP3SS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PANAMA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    5     3        3
   40:   39    10       25
   20:  415    17       39
   15: 2582    25       89
   10:    7     3        5

One radio. 500W. One tower with wires on 40 and 80.

I decided to switch to 15M single band on Saturday morning (I like that band)
Then I decided to switch again to SOHP after the contest! I am guessing that
this indecision cost me about a million points but it's only a game and I had
fun.

The majority of my QSOs came from the USA whose ops seemed to find me
regardless of my antenna direction.

I noticed some strange propagation. US north and Canada would be strong then
disappear and the w4/5 would be strong. 5 minutes and it was back to the north.
This happened nearly all day Sunday. I am still learning what is normal
propagation for this QTH. I had the Med stations with good signals but very
little from the north or east EU. A good time with JA in the last few hours
when 15M settled down as stations thinned out but not at a good rate.

A big thank you for all the QSOs!
Also thanks to the local power utility. I only had one blackout.

I am hoping to get something up for 160M before the CW event.

73,
Robby
HP3SS