[3830] CQWW SSB K1XM(@W1KM) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 18:36:28 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1XM
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: W1KM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Massachusetts
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   62     9       35
   80:  175    24       83
   40:  135    25       77
   20:  231    23      100
   15:  209    23       84
   10:  117    17       55
------------------------------
Total:  929   121      434  Total Score = 1,419,135

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Originally I was going to join a multi-op but I found out that W1KM's station
was otherwise not going to be on the air.  I could make some points for YCCC
and it had been a while since I had done this contest single-op from the US.

Monday before the contest I woke up with a bad sore throat.  Tuesday my cold
was bad enough that I left work early.

Thursday I was at the doctor's office.  They gave me some pills and an inhaler.
 I asked about whether it was OK to drive and they said these medicines don't
cause problems.  I asked about what I could do on the weekend and they said
that I didn't have to worry about overdoing it because if I exerted myself I
would cough so much that I would have to stop.

Friday I was at W1KM.  The station was set up for two radios but the audio
wasn't right on one so I operated SO1R.  More importantly I found I could not
run - I could only talk for a short while before I started coughing too much.

So I started calling people.  I'd work some, and then have to stop until I
could talk again, and I would work some more.  I concentrated on multipliers
figuring that would help my score - if nothing else I would try to at least
make a Meg.

Conditions were awful.  I hoped that the bands and my health would improve as
the weekend progressed.

I tried calling CQ a couple times Saturday wasn't able to keep at it long
enough to work anyone.  On Sunday I was more successful.  I had two runs, one
for 7 minutes (12 QSOs) and one for 11 minutes (25 QSOs).  In both cases I had
to get off the air for a while after.  The other 892 QSOs were S&P.  But
conditions did get better, even giving us a short European opening on 10.

Now I just need to get healthy before the CW contest.  I expect to be on from
Jamaica, probably as 6Y9X.  See you on all the bands!