[3830] CQWW SSB W1DYJ SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 19:49:11 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   19     6        8
   40:   37    10       20
   20:   93    17       50
   15:   66    14       38
   10:   50    12       35

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

100% S&P
Log: N3FJP's CQ WW DX Contest Log Ver 5.2
Rig: TS-2000
Antennas:
  160  trapped 80M dipole @ 7m (it doesn't really load)
   80  trapped 80M dipole @ 7m (sort of works)
   40  40M dipole @ 7m (too low)
	[the above three are a modified Alpha Delta DX-CC]
   20  HB Moxon @ 12m (Fine)
   15  Rotatable Dipole @ 11m (just OK)
   10  HB 5el yagi @ 10m (only really competitive antenna)

Noise, noise, noise!  With little pistol antennas I didn't hear very much.
Friday night started out very slowly on 80 & 40 with 13 total Qs between
8pm and 11pm. Spending an hour at 4am local got me another 4 Qs!  My best
rate was Saturday around 1pm when I hit a max of 60/hr on 20 for a short
period -- that was fun. (My normal rate was somewhere around 15-20/hr.)
10M was not too bad to the south.  15M was just OK.  I usually get both a
US and Canadian Q on 160M -- using my trapped 40/80M dipole -- for 3-4 mults
and 2 points, but I couldn't get any 160 Qs this year.  (I've calculated that,

with an SWR of no better than 10:1 in the shack, I'm probably getting no
more than 30 watts to the 80M loaded dipole.  According to TLW, the SWR
at the antenna is ~26:1.)  I was very happy to have many Canadian Qs this
year!

I actually did about normal (for me) on 80 & 40 -- but I spent twice the
chair time on these bands achieving these meager totals.  My total on 20 was
down a bit but not bad. 10 was about half the usual number of Qs -- and
therefore about 1/4 the score contribution.  15 was somewhere between 20
and 10 for this year's contribution.  My goal was 277K -- 25% over last year
for the YCCC improvement award.

Guess I don't have to worry about that award this year...  :)

73 -- Larry -- W1YDYJ