[3830] NCCC Sprint NA6O LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Sep 8 23:14:35 EDT 2016

NCCC Sprint - Sep 9

Call: NA6O
Operator(s): NA6O
Station: NA6O

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Livermore, CA
Operating Time (hrs): .5

   40:  17     15
   20:   4      4
Total:  21     19  Total Score = 399

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

TS-590s, verticals (TX), dipoles (RX), N1MM+

My very first sprint, after much prodding by W6RGG and N6RO. Well, that was
interesting. I had practiced with N1MM so at least my messages were working
fine. I had also been practicing with recordings made by K5TR. Those are really
useful. Copying speed was not much of an issue, at least for the stations I
heard.

The main thing I learned is that I lose ALL shootouts, so unlike normal
contests where I get a second (third, fourth...) chance, S&P can be much
less productive than I'd expect. So I'd wait, and keep trying for the next guy,
etc.  Calling CQ worked better, at least as long as there is sufficient activity
and I can find a spot.

20 is always the worst band for my little station, so I pretty quickly
abandoned it and went to 40. No 80m capability tonight, and 40 went almost dead
near the end.

In CWT, my very best score can be about half of the top finisher. Looks like my
first sprint will be maybe 10%... sort of like how I score in major DX
contests.

Conclusion: Sprints are ok, and I guess I'll try some more of the weekly tests
and see how it goes. I'm signed up for the Big Sprint this weekend. I have a
feeling it will turn into basically a single-band operation for me.