[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 11 01:00:37 EDT 2016

NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 00:10

   80:   6    00:10
   40:   0        0
   20:   0        0
---------------------
Total:   6     Mults = 3  Total Score = 18

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Woke up from a nap and decided to see if I could get my home station on the air
in enough time to make at least one QSO in the Sprint (my remote station is
currently off-the-air). I have a brand new K3 sitting on my workbench which I
bought several years ago and had never made a QSO with until this evening. It
took me a little while to rifle through a box of cables in my garage to find
the right cable to connect paddles to the rig and hook up my iPhone earbuds. It
also took me a while to figure out why the K3 was only putting out 12 watts.
After a little fiddling with the configuration menu, I had what appeared to be
100 watts coming out. It was hard to tell because the watt meter in my
Ameritron ATR-30 wasn't working, but the power supply current looked about
right. Based on the strength of the signals I was hearing, it sounded like the
coil at the base of my inverted-L was set properly and the antenna tuned up
easily enough, so I think that part was working okay. I made my first QSO with
8 minutes left in the contest. It was great to work fellow SCCC members K6LA
and N6AA (my small contribution to the club's effort since I wasn't on a
team).

73, Mike W4EF.........