[3830] WAE SSB K5WA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 11 22:18:14 EDT 2016

WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX

   80:   19     0     0
   40:   81     0     0
   20:  182     0     0
   15:  157     0     0
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  439   437   301  Total Score = 263,676

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Sorry the score formatting is bad here but I forgot to run a score summary
before I left the station so this is developed from the ADIF.  The total is
about right for a raw score.

Just before the contest, I thought we might good conditions and the first
couple of hours were OK on 20 but then things went into the tank for most of
the rest of the weekend.  I was out to scrounge some WRTC points because 15/hr
rate for 32 hours of the contest was tough sledding from here in Texas but I
don't want to complain too much because I can't imagine how K6XX stays
motivated with the conditions he had in California.  15 opened up (shockingly)
for an hour or so each morning to give some reasonable rate and Sunday morning
was amazingly loud but then things went back to tough.  I asked one weak DL how
much power he was running (in the middle of the good time) and he was running 5
watts and a GP so I guess the great conditions made it to Texas for a little
while too.  I had an SP on 15 tell me "You're only S1 but you're on a
clear frequency and your audio is strong".  Glad he could hear me.  '-)

I also had the strangest thunder over the station for about an hour Friday
evening which had a 15 minute thunder rumble - no breaks!  I've never heard one
last so long but the station survived just fine and I didn't even shut down
(like I should have).  When I brought up the AccuWeather local radar, the
purple spot was directly on me!

Thanks to KD4D and VE9AA for spotting me a few time while I was CQing.  That
usually only brought me a call or two but there were some pretty lonely CQ
sessions while I was S&P on the other rig and I sure appreciated the spots
from fellow competitors.

Also, a big thanks to the N1MM software developers for their logger program.
How it can keep up with WAE is a major feat.  I needed to enlarge the fonts on
one of the WRTC screens and, sure enough, there was a way to make it the size I
wanted.  Very slick!

It's always fun to be on the radio even when conditions are crummy

73 and TNX,

Bob K5WA