[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE1SKY Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 12 09:39:12 EDT 2016

ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: VE1SKY
Operator(s): VE1SKY
Station: VE1SKY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN74 NS
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  29     23
    2:  11     10
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  40     33  Total Score = 1,320

This contest is very difficult given my remote location just outside of the
range of major population centers in S. New England or Ontario.  This year I
didn't concern myself with traditional radio approaches and focused instead on
meteorscatter and the new WSJT-X modes.  I had a good time running on Ping
Jockey with 'old regulars' and also many new faces to the rox.  With the very
new MSK144 release and a determination that a 'contest mode' was possible in
it's still experimental format, the activity and excitement for meteorscatter
in the ARRL September VHF was quite evident on a couple of reflectors.

Thank you to the few stations around the Bay of Fundy and the Gulf of Maine
that were able to work SOLP VE1SKY in CW mode or SSB.  Luckily, WSJT-X made
'deadband QSOs' available for me out to 1,269 miles (K2DRH) and many others
over 1000 miles, only two such examples being KC9ELU and W8BYA in Indiana.

I was very happy to give out FN74 for 40 contacts.  Of the 40 QSOs, 90% were
meteorscatter.  For me, this contest replaced the now defunct Geminids Winter
Rally even though the rox were just random.  The abilities and numbers of
meteor operators have increased greatly over the last few years and the digital
modes have improved steadily, especially with the advent of WSJT-X.  WSJT-X is
still in development mode, but a general release is coming a bit later this
year and will be a very good starting point for general radio operators and
contesters.

Other than the many stations at good distances that I worked, and the
camaraderie between old and new friends, it was particularly enjoyable to once
again work Joe, K1JT who made a brief appearance and ran a QSO or two.  I
suspect he was reading the news on Ping Jockey and SWLing some of the activity
to assess how his latest fine software was performing in contest conditions.

>From a September VHF contest that often precludes a great number of
non-metropolitan stations, working the rox has made this contest available to
more rural and remote VHF/UHF stations.

I hope to see many more of you on Ping Jockey and trying WSJT-X.  If you need
some starting information, there are some links on my QRZ.com page.

73,
Roger VE1SKY