[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W4JNB Limited Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 12 14:27:43 EDT 2016

ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: W4JNB
Operator(s): NV4B N4GLE KW4HT
Station: W4JNB

Class: Limited Multi-Op LP
QTH: AL (EM64et)
Operating Time (hrs): 11:30

    6:  15      7
    2:  16      9
  222:
  432:  11      7
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  42     23  Total Score = 1,219

The Muscle Shoals Amateur Radio Club operated Field Day-style (although with
commercial power) from the parking lot of the Florence/Lauderdale Coliseum in
downtown Florence, AL.  This was the club's second foray into VHF contesting
after a brief effort in this year's June VHF Contest.

Activity on the bands seemed rather low.  We were forced to QRT Saturday
evening around 2300Z for strong thunderstorms, and never got fully back on the
air until Sunday morning.  Despite expectations of good tropo conditions given
the weather, band conditions were highly variable Sunday morning, but were good
enough to make a few 300+ mile QSOs on 2m and 432.  Activity slowed to a
stand-still by noon on Sunday, so we stuck to our plan to QRT around 1830Z and
vacate the site by 2000Z.  It looks like this caused us to miss the best
conditions of the contest, which, by several reports, appear to have occurred
Sunday night.

The contest served as both an operating and a social event for the club.  Only
three of us made QSOs, but a large number of hams contributed to the effort
through setup, teardown, and most importantly, cooking!  Interest in VHF/UHF
contesting continues to build in the club, and we may take on building a 222
station as a club project after we missed out on several QSO and mult
opportunities on that band.  There has already been interest expressed in
operating the January VHF Contest as a club.

Thanks to all whom we worked for the QSOs.

6m:  ICOM IC-706MKIIG, 100W, Cushcraft A50-5S 5-el at approx. 30'
2m:  ICOM IC-746, 100W, Cushcraft A32-19 19-el at approx 25'
432: Kenwood TS-2000, 50W, 21-el Yagi at approx 30'