[3830] TxQP N1CC Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 25 16:58:21 EDT 2016

Texas QSO Party

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: HEND

  160:
   80:    3      0      0
   40:   64     10      0
   20:   73     53      0
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  140     63      0  Mults = 76  Total Score = 41,496

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Second Year to operate in this event as SO-QRP Class.  Won last year, so why not
again.  Possible reason:  Terrible Conditions!

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 at 10W SSB and 5W CW output.
          Force-12 C3 @64 feet - 20 Meters (no other bands open here)
          80/40 Fan Dipole at 50' broadside N/S for 80/40 operation
          WriteLog V12.09F (latest Version) for logging and CW sending.

WriteLog version V12.09F does not support all of the information for TXQP, and
manual changes will have to be made to the Cabrillo output to provide final
report to the Contest Committee.  Operation from Henderson County, Texas as
Single Operator QRP Class.  "Category-Station" seems to be messed up
by WriteLog.  Again.  I was not able to earn any bonus points.  Since WriteLog
does not support non-dupe logging of DIGITAL mode I chose to NOT try to deal
with that issue.  If WriteLog does not fix this problem, I won't be in TXQP
next year ... as the risk of lost points due to non-support of digital contacts
would disadvantage any serious competitor at some point.  (WriteLog's problem,
not TXQP)

With the lower propagation, running QRP doesn't allow for sustained rates, at
least from my location in North Texas.  I missed bonus points this year because
almost all of the mobile operation was on 20M, and most of the mobile gang could
not pull me out at the QRP signal level.  While I did work many mobiles, none in
five counties.  (Only 12 contacts with TX mobiles...12 counties and 5 mobile
stations).

As has been the case much of this year, we have more illicit behavior than
previous years with jamming being the pervasive kind.  And to add to that, even
though TXQP allows ALL stations to use spotting networks and RBN at no class
penalty, many of the folks do not check the cluster or RBN to see if the
frequency they are going to plunk down on is clear.  This is a real problem for
QRP stations running, I had several short runs, all busted by other Texas
stations starting to use the frequency I was on.  That is NOT part of the
sport.  I think TXQP committee should monitor this, and disqualify folks who
don't listen on the frequency, don't look at spotted frequencies, and who may
"through intention" know that their 1.5 KW signal is going to run
whoever is on that USED frequency off.  It's plain crude irresponsible behavior
folks!