[3830] CQ WW RTTY K7XC SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 25 20:48:54 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NV - DM09jh

   80:   40      17        3     4
   40:   74      27       20    15
   20:  143      25       54    26
   15:   59      10       26    18
   10:    0       0        0     0
------------------------------------
Total:  316      79      103    63  Total Score = 161,210

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Turned out to be a true field day experience as there were no antennas up when
the contest started due to 3 days of high winds immediately before. Beginning
Friday morning I managed to cobble together a 2ele 20M Yagi /15M rotatable
dipole and installed them on the newly relocated tower trailer. Next I strung
up a dual band fan dipole for 40/80M between a pair of 30' masts in the back
half of the 5 acre lot. Sitting down at the station at sunset Friday is when I
discovered there was no logging software installed on my new Core I5 PC! So off
to download the latest versions of  N1MM+ & MMRTTY. After the initial
install began all the wonderful fun of configuring the software to actually
send RTTY and log correctly. Some 45 minutes later everything was percolating
well. The new 20M ant at 25' played well till the band closed, Dead tired I
made some 40M Qs till midnight and went to bed exhausted. That's a lot of work
for an old man that walks with a cane.
Saturday proved great fun with the 15M rotatable dipole working quite a bit of
DX at only 30' high. I took a break to install the dual band dipole late
Saturday afternoon just before a beautiful NV sunset. The effort to get it in
the air was well worth it as I worked an additional 40 Qs on 80M. Staying up
till 430AM Sunday I elected to punt and get some sleep. Waking up at 10AM I
checked the bands and spent the day bouncing between 15M, 20M, and the TV
catching up on what the NFL was doing! GO Steelers.
The station is a shadow of its former self but I have plans for lots of wire
antenna over the next coup[le months. Station: IC746, IC706mkIIg, AL-80B amp @
500W out. See you in CQ WW DX SSB next!