[3830] TxQP KS5A/M SO CW Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 26 13:46:32 EDT 2016

Texas QSO Party

Call: KS5A/M
Operator(s): KS5A
Station: KS5A

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH: TX

  160:
   80:    2     0       0
   40:  272     0       0
   20:  538     0       0
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  812     0       0  Mults = 82  Total Score = 239,752

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Score includes 1k activation points for each county with 5+ Q’s.

This was strictly a solo mobile operation, stopping to run the counties - on
county lines when possible.  I used N1MM+ for all logging and rig control for
the single county runs.  For the county lines, with the rules requiring
separate transmits for each county, I used an Logikey memory keyer for
transmitting and N1MM+ for the logging.  And yes, it did cause some screwy
xmits when I left N1MM+ in ESM mode on county lines �" sorry about that.

My planned route was to fill-in some of the open counties on the TQP web site.
I did this, plus one extra county thrown-in (20 total - could not let the Okie
be the only one to put out my home county)!  K5YAA, I will look for the toll
pennies you threw-out while passing through, when it stops raining!

Specific county runs consisted of a low of 23 to the high of 67 contacts in a
county.  41 was the overall trip average per county.

WX wise, it worked out great �" just warm and warmer with HUMIDITY!  What
had been a somewhat dismal forecast with thunderstorms and heavy rain (as in
last year), abated somehow and waited until the QP end to open the flood gates.
 I spent over an hour on the I-state, moving at speeds down to 30 mph due to the
downpours.

All equipment worked fine.  The only exception was the 40m resonator that took
a limb hit (that was driver error).  After 40+ years of on-again, off-again
mobile ops, it finally happened.  The resonator in question was the lead
(pointed forward) in an 8 element, horizontally mounted array.  The resonators
extend out from a custom hub, approximately 12.5 feet AGL.  If the stinger of
the resonator had gone over the limb, I most likely would have lost the entire
array, mast and connecting hardware included.  As such, I only had to contend
with a bent stinger.  Vice grips and elbow grease allowed for a somewhat
[straight-curved], new-looking stinger.  Re-tuned it and ops normal for the
remaining contest.

It is always nice to take a break somewhere in that long first TQP day.  K5IX
provided that with a meet for late lunch in Brackettville and Kinney County.  A
good, first eye-ball with reminisces of our USAF days, CWOps, and general radio
stuff that replaced the fast paced dits and dahs of the road �" relaxing
and enjoyable, Dave �" Thanks.

Propagation wise, I would say, good overall.  As usual in the declining sunspot
years, early afternoons bring on the band blahs.  No different this time
�" most of the EU guys disappeared when I was trying to help out on a
couple of their county needs.  Stateside was more normal.  Once I was found or
spotted, the masses returned from a somewhat subdued band.  Nothing was heard
or worked on 10m or 15m, and I did xmit there, hoping to generate some
interest.  I also tried 80m in the day, which should start to be better with
solar minimums.  Again, No Joy (pilot term).

Pileups were normal and manageable.  If one finds themselves among the masses,
trying to get through the pileup, move a little off freq, 50 �" 100 Hz
and not only will you help the mobile, but also may bag the contact a little
earlier.  Just do not move so far off freq that you move outside the mobile’s
passband.

And there was the RTTY mess on 40m.  Nothing new here, most know of the driving
force that supported this, and I’m a Life Member.  But when you limit some of
the CW ops to 7.025-7.030, something is wrong.  And for a RTTY station to start
calling in your face on the freq you have been on for awhile, it shows a total
lack of awareness or respect for some others freq.  Just because one is
operating RTTY does not mean one cannot hear CW on a freq.  And, I like to
operate RTTY!!  Enough on the box.

To all that worked me, I say a much appreciated Thanks for the Q’s!  And,
thanks for following me around.  You guys and gals made it a great trip for me.
 I tried not to leave anyone still calling, but if I did, sorry, it wasn’t
intentional.

Thanks to Chuck and all the other TQP honchos.  Another great one in the
books.

I miss Norm too!

73/Guff
KS5A