[3830] VaQP K3CCR M/MFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Apr 12 22:26:17 EDT 2017

Virginia QSO Party

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: M/MFixed HP
QTH: MD

  160:           1
   80:   24    160
   40:   14     14
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   38    175      0  Mults = 80  Total Score = 23,920

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. N3UM
and W3GB operated in the 2017 VA QSO Party. We both had concert
tickets and other non-radio commitments, so we had two stations
on only for 2 hr. Sat. morning of our total 12.5 hr. on-air.

We learned from the 2016 VAQP and propagation forecasts that from
MD we should expect most VAQP QSOs to be on 80-m. SSB, with a few
on CW and 40 SSB. Yep: 75% of our 2017 Qs were on 80 SSB, 18% CW
on 40 and 80, and 7% on 40 SSB. From Sat. AM start to 14 EDT we
got 61 Qs on 80 SSB, 13 on 40 CW, and 8 on 40 SSB. From 16 EDT Sat.
to QRT at 22 EDT we got 66 more Qs on 80 SSB, but only 3 on 40 m.

As often happens, Sunday was slow; we scraped up only 35 Qs
in two morning hrs. and 3 afternoon hrs, all but 5 on 80 m. What
kept us going was getting a few more county/city mults for 80
total, better than the 64 mults we got in 2016 VAQP. Fun working
KJ4O/M in 11 different counties, 5 of them mults.  A surprise to
work many rural counties like AME but not FBX, MAX, RIC, or RIX.