[3830] GaQP N0G(N0AC) Rover Single OpCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Apr 14 19:57:27 EDT 2017

Georgia QSO Party

Call: N0G
Operator(s): N0AC
Station: N0AC/M

Class: Rover Single OpCW LP
QTH:

   40:     973
   20:     188
------------------------
Total:    1161      0  CW-Dig Mults = 42  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 97,440

Club: Iowa DX and Contest Club

Comments:

There are a lot of thanks that I feel needs to be given. First is to the contest
sponsors and organizers especially Jeff, KU8E, for encouraging participation.
Second are all the station operators that QSOed with me. Third and most
important is my wife, Donna, for being patient and driving. Without her this
contest would not have been successful. Last is a safe trip.

Equipment

>From an equipment standpoint things went well. At the start one of the
screwdriver antenna controllers would not stay powered up but if I held down
the power button I could tune the antenna. Since this ended up being a two band
contest I just left that antenna tuned for 40m and the other antenna for 20m the
whole contest. The only other issue was the computer not reading the rig but
that turned out to be a backed out USB plug.

Day 1

We spent too much time at the Pizza Hut so got an 11 minute late start in Dade
County. Having never operated this far south and east I figured 20m was going
to be the best band but it didn’t seem to produce so I moved to 40m at 1824z.
I tried to give time for 20m and 40m from each county. We ran late all day and
at 0016z I signed off since it was dark and Donna was getting tired.

Day 2

In a previous email conversation with K1RO he mentioned I should try to operate
from the same frequency spot on all bands which luckily was 7038 and 14038. I
bounced back and forth between 20m and 40m all day with 40m producing the best
rate. We stayed on schedule Sunday arriving at Savannah at 2058z and my last
QSO.

Conditions

I thought conditions both days were good but power line noise Sunday seemed
worse. I left one county on the table and operated 13 out of the 20 hours
available and I didn’t make it to 80m. We drove a total of 3100 miles with
720 of that in the contest. For a description of the mobile station look at my
QRZ.COM page. (N0G or N0AC)

Signals were great for the most part. The most consistently loud stations were
K9CT and DL3DXX. The stations that worked me 15 or more times were: K1RO-49,
K9CT-38, K3WJV-30, DL3DXX-24, W4EE-23, W8TM-23, K4BYN-22, KB3LIX-22, W0BH-21,
W5TM-21, N2CQ-16, W2DYE-16, N2CU-15, and ND3R-15.

Beyond Contesting

This trip was not all about me. Donna is an amateur photographer and loves
investigating places and things. After the contest I traded my headphones for a
tourist hat and spent the rest of our time without the radio. On the way home to
Iowa we stopped in Columbus and had coffee and conversation with John, K4BAI.
What a treat!

Thanks for all the QSOs, Bill, N0AC