[3830] NAQP SSB N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 20 20:41:12 EDT 2017

North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

   15:   16     7
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  755   124  Total Score = 93,620

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Saturday was a low energy day. Poor conditions until 23Z did not help and the
high precip static was no fun especially late night. The high static levels
across most of the USA really seemed to limit working range on 75 and 160!

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of causal ops and
newer hams taking part along with the NAQP regulars. Some sporadic E was
definitely present in the first 2-1/2 hours on 20 into the 4/5/8/9/0 call areas
(nothing really close) and on 15 into the 4/5 districts (weak signals and poor
activity). I heard beacons in TX on 10 at the start, but no one was home. The
runs were pretty steady on 20 making me push a little harder than I had
planned. 40 was a near disaster in the afternoon with very long skip and weak
signals, only 33 Q's in log by 2230Z, but the sun reversed its angry tone with
much louder signals by 2330Z and skip mercifully shortened up around 0025Z
thanks to Es (surpising local
thunderstorm with 30-35 MPH gusts very nearby from 0005-0025Z) to include a few
from neighboring states and New England. Plentiful activity provided some real
fast rate running for an hour and I was late to the party a bit on 75. Signals
from out to 9 land were decent, but it was difficult for Gulf coast and TX
stations to hear me.

Running seems much less mentally taxing than S&P for me, so I only
S&P'ed when the runs were very slow. I was suprised that my mult total was
fairly high compared to others with similar QSO totals. I felt like I was on
the SOMC payroll especially on 20 and 40 as very few PVRC'ers were workable
there. SOMC got the bulk of the WV mults. Thanks for all of the Q's and standby
for more NAQP fun in January when 15 should be better, noise much lower, and
activity higher.

73, Jeff