[3830] OhQP K8BKM Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 27 08:13:39 EDT 2017

Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI

   80:   48     55
--------------------
Total:   52     55  CW Mults = 34  Ph Mults = 36  Total Score = 11,130

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I could almost re-post my comments from last year. Nearly the same conditions
minus the thunderstorms from last year. Activity seemed up this year despite it
being a beautiful late summer day. 80 was far more productive this year than
last. 40 was the same - notta. Tough to work OH from MI any time of the day. I
could hear the HP stations but they really had to dig me out of the noise so it
wasn't worth the effort. As always, I enjoyed following the progress of the
mobiles - late in the contest that is, once they migrated to 80. There was no
way I was going to work them on 20 or 40. Nice break from my window painting
project.

Heard a few instances of a running station on CW asking a caller to repeat a
county or call and then the calling station replying (repeatedly) with the
wrong information. This tells me that some CW operators can't really copy CW
outside of what they are expecting to hear or their logging software tells
them. To be fair, in one case the running station was sending at a very high
speed and wouldn't QRS to the callers speed when it was obvious that the caller
was struggling. Maybe the calling station just kept pushing the wrong button.

Also heard some phone ops with very poor audio, and inappropriately wide
"studo quality" audio.

State QSO parties bring out all kinds - thankfully, I guess. They're a good
entry point into radiosport.

73, Tom
K8BKM