[3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 27 15:11:01 EDT 2017

Ohio QSO Party

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Fairfield County

   80:  209     0
   40:  187     0
   20:  123     0
   15:    5     0
   10:    3     0
--------------------
Total:  527     0  CW Mults = 114  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 120,156

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

That was fun!

I put up an NVIS 40 meter dipole but I could not tell any difference
in performance between that dipole and the full sized ground mounted
vertical.  The dipole put more RF into the tribander making SO2R
less effective.  After a while, I stopped using it.

In previous years I was unaware that spotting was allowed.  This year
I used it to great advantage to track the mobiles which boosted the
multiplier count, perhaps at the expense of the number of QSOs.

Worked K8MR 31 times in 20 different counties with 1 dupe; K8O 19
times in 18 counties; K8RYU 8 times in 8 counties; and K8CR 2 times in
2 counties.  Several K8MR contacts on 40 during the daylight hours
required ESP.  NVIS dipoles, verticals, and Beverages all produced
equivalent signals.

When K8MR was in Fairfield county near me, I was watching the S meter
on the 40 meter rig to see if I could see his signal peak.  He got to
about 30 over 9 on 40 and then left the band.  A bit later he called
on 80 and we ran the bands 20 to 10.  20 and 15 had S9 plus many db
signals while 10 meters has a mere S5.  I don't have a good theory for
that observation.  When Jim reached Franklin county, we repeated the
process with similar results.

I walked Fairfield county neighbor KI8R through the bands and worked a
couple of Hawaiian stations on 15 meters.

I operated SO2R to the best of my ability although I never got around
to using dueling CQs as I have done before.  I ran about 800 watts on
the primary rig to reduce blower noise and about 75 watts on the
secondary rig because I'm too lazy to dig out the other amplifier
until November.

I worked quite a number of Kansas QSO party stations.  Too bad there
is no way to easily log their counties so that I could work each one
multiple times without causing dupes in either contest.  I am
surprised that the contest logging gurus haven't solved this problem.
I would write my own software to solve this problem if I had more time
(and less laziness).  Also we might consider amending the Ohio QSO
Party rules to allow multiple Kansas and Hawaii QSOs in the spirit of
promoting more QSO party operation.  There is probably a chicken
versus egg problem of rules versus logging ability.

I missed 21 Ohio counties and 6 US states.

Equipment: Elecraft K3/100 & P3, Alpha 8410 800w; Elecraft K3/10,
Hardrock 50 75w; homebrew SO2R stuff; verticals (80 and 40), dipole
(only one), and tribanders (one for each ear).