[3830] HiQP KH6BE SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 28 07:45:07 EDT 2017

Hawaii QSO Party

Call: KH6BE
Operator(s): KH6BE
Station: KH6BE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Honolulu

   40:   10             2
   20:   64     4      31
-----------------------------------
Total:   76     4      33      37  Total Score = 12,395

QRP portable operation with my Elecraft KX3 and vertical dipole. I was able to
make time for 3 operating sessions - Friday evening, Saturday afternoon, and
Sunday afternoon, and worked from 3 different beach parks in the Honolulu
area.

For my operating times, 20 meters was the only band that was workable beyond
Hawaii. Most of my contacts on 80/40/15 were with locals.

I think the HQP needs to balance the goal of outreach beyond Hawaii with the
equally important goal of promoting communication within the state. Many of the
biggest stations with their monster beams pointed to NA/EU never even heard me
calling them. There should be a much bigger incentive for HI stations to work
each other.

Although our biggest stations treat HQP as a hard-core contest, it really
should always be a QSO Party foremost - a chance for operators of all skill
levels and station sizes to get on the air and promote amateur radio in Hawaii.

73 and Aloha,
Bob KH6BE