[3830] ARRL 160 NN3W SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 09:27:34 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: NN3W

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA

Total:  QSOs = 701  Sections = 76  Countries = 28  Total Score = 157,040

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Terrific conditions.  Really enjoyed this contest in the time I could put into
it.

Started to get into this one the day before when I unrolled about 6 radials for
the Inverted L.  Went to fire up the linear and it went "pop".  Hadn't
used it in about a year.  Figured a fuse had blown as a result of a soft tube
that I've been nursing.  Found I was out of fuses and thanks to the demise of
Radio Shack had to scramble over to Home Depot in the hopes that they'd have
some 15A microwave fuses.  Luckily they had three packs - I bought all of
them.

SWR in the Inverted L was decent but seemed a bit overly broad. Found some
fencing wire in the shed and unrolled all of it.  SWR resonant point was now
appropriate.  Heard decently but hearing is always a challenge in a suburban
environment.  Often, I'd use my 80 meter quad to serve as a receive antenna
when localized noise was too unbearable.

With lousy SFI on the high bands, I could handle this for a few years!

Equip: FT-1000MP, AL811, Inverted L at 60' with 12 radials of various lengths
(including 50 feet of wire fencing).