[3830] ARRL 160 VE3CV SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 10:45:10 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ON

Total:  QSOs = 344  Sections = 68  Countries = 19  Total Score = 64,819

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

All S&P effort for DXing.  Stayed up for EU sunrise on Saturday with
disappointing results, only EA7KW worked, but much better Sunday, but couldn't
stay awake!  Countries worked with 100W were EA(2), PJ2, ZF, C6, XE, F, SM, OK,
YO, OE, UA2, LZ, OM, LA, GW, YL, ON, OH0, G. So so many EU spots on Friday, but
most went to bed or conditions changed by sunrise so few to work....0300 to
0400Z to EU was best time from here on Sunday.   Some pretty good ears out
there.....some less so.

My biggest problem was the damn wind generators surrounding me now would not
stop turning for the whole contest, so lots of birdies, especially in the 1832
to 1838 range where so much EU was active.  Also, it gets tiring waiting for
the QRO pileup to finish so us LP stations can pick up the scraps....just
sayin' for those who haven't tried it.  And the constant tailenders!  Kudos to
any QRPers....been there done that....a 160m amp is in my future! Getting too
old.

Station worked well and I felt loud most of the time with one call, even to the
ESP strength west coast.  Amazing band as always.  Nothing in the Pacific
heard.
Thanks for the Qs....conditions bode well for CQ160cw in January.

Station:
FT-1000MP (1995 vintage + INRAD filters) 100W into 80m doublet at 50ft as
top-loaded vertical +14 radials.
RX Antennas:
45, 90, 330 deg 600ft Beverages (winter temporary)
180 and 280deg BOGs + KD9SV preamp