[3830] ARRL 160 W6QU(W8QZA) Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 10:49:26 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

Total:  QSOs = 29  Sections = 14  Countries = 2  Total Score = 854

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  160 DX-LB trap dipole up 30 ft in center, 12 feet at ends
  160 Meters: Inverted L
I put up my inverted L and fired up the K-2 on Saturday evening just to remind
me that even though I can submit competitive scores in All Band contests from
my small lot in San Diego, my efforts in 160 contests are completely
ridiculous! I am always absolutely astonished at the amazing QRP scores I see
in 160 contests!

At least I made 29 Qs in my 2 hour effort on day 2 of the contest.  I could not
make a single 160 M Q in the CQ WWDX CW contest!  I did put up my inverted L for
this contest, and on receiving it seemed to be consistently about 1 S unit
better than the DX-LB.  All my Qs were made on the inverted L.

My best DX was about 750 miles to Idaho and to my friend, N0KE, who I came
across running stations.  I also got XE2S for my only out of country Q.  But
that would have been 2 countries and 3 zones for CQ WWDX!  Next year I MUST put
up the inverted L for CQ WWDX!

73,   ...Bill  W8QZA - W6QU