[3830] ARRL 160 N4KG SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 13:33:00 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: ALA

Total:  QSOs = 660  Sections = 74  Countries = 25  Total Score = 140,778

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I entered this contest to evaluate the performance of my new Elevated GP with
only 2 radials(beaming ZL) at 10 ft. vs. an Inverted-L supported by a 90 ft.
tree (beaming ZS) with an intervening 130 ft. tower w/3L15 on top acting as a
parasitic reflector spaced 0.2 WL and 0.25 WL respectively.

I was VERY Impressed with the performance of the 2 radial Elevated GP.
The forward pattern of both antennas is Very Broad with a noticeable F/B ratio
estimated to be 6 to 10 dB or so which makes a significant difference on weaker
signals while also improving the received S/N somewhat since I no longer can run
long beverages to adjacent properties.

Most contacts were point-and-click in the Available Multiplier/QSO sheet of the
N1MM logger+ with a couple of periods of running.  The GP was able to run W6/7
stations fairly well when propagation to California improved late Friday
night.

I missed 9 sections:  ND  NNY  WTX  SB  SJV  KH6 KL7 KP4  VE8/VY1 for 74
sections.

There was a good opening to Europe Friday night (19 DXCC) plus another 6 DXCC
Saturday night with noticeably weaker signals.

DX worked:

C6  CO  KP2  V3  XE  ZF in N.A.
LU  PJ2 in S.A.
DL  EA  F  G  GW  HA  I  LZ  OE  OK  OM  S5  UA  UA2  UR  YO  ZA in Europe

I used my trusty old Icom 746 with cascaded 500 Hz filters cranked down to
minimum bandwidth and an AL82 amplifier.

Tom  N4KG in North Central Alabama