[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 14:28:24 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N3ND N4CW WA4PSC N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1542  Sections = 80  Countries = 47  Total Score = 467,487

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This may have been the best showing we have had to date in the ARRL 160 CW
contest.  The EU propagation could not have been better on Friday night until
EU sunrise on Saturday morning.  Our first EU was worked only 19 minutes into
the contest which is anything but normal for us.  Needless to say, that set our
expectations for what was to come.  We were not disappointed.  By the time we
shut down Saturday morning we had 136 five point Qs in the log.  Unfortunately
night two was not quite so cooperative as we only added another 63.

The five pointers really helped grow the multiplier count.  However, the ARRL
sections were not quite as cooperative.   By Saturday morning we were still in
need of PAC, WTX, NT, PR, and ORG.  By the end of the contest PAC and ORG were
in the log but we never heard, saw any spots or were called by WTX, NT and PR.
Where did you others find them?  That loss was made up by being called by VK,
PAC and several JAs.

We also decided to real-time post our scores to CQContest.  For much of the
first day we were the only MS entry but were pleased to be joined by 4 more
teams as time went on.  Another VERY high point of the contest was to see our
score pass by the W2GD score.  OK….that might be a SLIGHT exaggeration.  That
anomaly might have something to do with the fact that they stopped posting with
about 15 hours left in the contest.  Another FANTASTIC job by the W2GD team.
One word �" WOW!

Finally, thanks to the rest of the team for making this a fun weekend.   Based
on the Operator Q counts Dan N3ND, Bert N4CW and Howie WA4PSC did most of the
heavy lifting as  I came in 4th place!

Rig:
K3, Acom 2000A
Phased pair of Inverted Ls
Many beverages (wire and otherwise)
Win10, N1MM+

Look for the four of us again in CQWW-160 CW.

73,
Bruce N1LN