[3830] ARRL 160 N4XD Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 3 18:21:53 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1093  Sections = 74  Countries = 37  Total Score = 268,287

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

Overall activity seemed quite good. Band VERY quiet Friday/ Sat with a bit of
QRN on Sat night. First DX at 2319 (GW5R) and shortly after that ZA1WW called
in! Very nice surprise.

Beverages didn't seem to work Friday/ Sat am. Saturday PM (around 7:30 pm
locally) got fed up and decided to see if I could fix the issue. Changed switch
at beverage feeds but that wasn't the issue. Finally found a couple critter
bites on the main beverage feedline to the shack. Spliced and fixed but not
having them Friday certainly cost me contacts, both DX and stateside. Nice to
have them back for the rest of Saturday.

Overall station seemed to play well. Two 105' towers phased showed good
directivity and appeared to get out well. Unfortunately never heard any JA, AK,
WTX, ND or PAC. Also missed several Ca sections although ORG called in just at
my sunrise Sunday. Thanks for that!

A note on quality of signals. It was a pleasant surprise to hear few clicky
stations. I noted only 2. Nice that companies have stepped up and are providing
radios that are clean. And great that stations are using them.

Congrats to N1LN who is just a bit north of me. I need to upgrade my beverages
to hear as well as he is :)

Thanks to the ARRL and all the participants for making this a fine contest.

Equip:
Elecraft K3
Alpha 91b
N1MM+ (continues to be fantastic, free and well supported. What a team!!)
2 towers phased for 160
multiple beverages.

A side note. If anyone reading this is using a red Pitaya as either a receiver
or transceiver I'd be interested in your observations. I recently bought one
and am still experimenting.

Ron
N4XD