[3830] ARRL 10 K7HKR SO SSB Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 10 19:14:09 EST 2017

ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SO SSB Unlimited LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:   0     0
  SSB:   9     5
-------------------
Total:   9     5  Total Score = 90

100 watts with a 3el bent Yagi and a 3-foot diameter magnetic loop, both at
16ft/5m

The homebrew 10-meter Yagi is brand new, a "normal" Yagi with
elements bent down at the halfway points to fit my small space.  It modeled
okay, but no chance to test it on the air until the contest.  Last year, I made
a single QRP QSO in this contest, my first on the band.  Was certainly hoping
for better this year.

Missed the first hour, with my first QSO right at 0100UT.  I stuck around for a
couple hours to work a few stations each in MN/SD and TX/LA via E-skip.  It was
immediately clear that the Yagi was considerably outperforming the 3-foot
loop.

Then Saturday happened.  Listened the entire day, heard three South American
stations, two too weak to work and one couldn't hear me through the QSB, and
that was it.

Then Sunday happened, one in-state QSO and that was it.  Not much fun to be had
with non-ionospheric contacts on HF.  I guess that's what a solar flux of 70
will do for you.