[3830] ARRL 10 N8II SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 12 22:01:43 EST 2017

ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV

   CW:  184    32
  SSB:   60    17
-------------------
Total:  244    49  Total Score = 41,944

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It's Tuesday after the "VHF" contest and I have been on the air twice
briefly with 10 open to IL/WI/W4 in the morning and wide open to FL in the
evening on Es. Oh, well luck is not always good in a contest and it looks like
wherever you were in
USA or Canada conditions were universally poor. I have operated in the 10M test
approximately 40 times and this time was the worst I can ever remember for poor
conditions!
  Actually, it was fairly similar to the CQWW CW on 10M, with opening to deep
SA around 1730Z or just after and closed around 2130Z. Sunday was worse than
Saturday
and most of what could be heard was already worked. I found V51 at 1545Z
Saturday
and worked 2 ZL's starting at 1940Z. So, total DX mults were those two plus
CE,
CX, LU, and PY on both modes. Meteor scatter was down from usual maybe about
30% of a good year and sporadic E was weak and pretty worthless. There were 2
weak Es openings into NS, a weak brief opening into FL, and a fairly weak
opening into MN (no one was up to S9) and WI (one WI QSO) in the last hour.
Around 14Z Sunday there may have been weak Es into MO, KS, and AR, but signals
were so weak it have been meteor scatter.
  The good news was that the local and up the East Coast activity was pretty
good at least on CW and some stations like KD4D and N4RV were beacons. almost
always
calling CQ. Many stations even in FRC land were heard over and over again. More
good news was that my local noise was not a factor except from SW to W, so I
could copy a lot of weak signals. The local activity saved me from complete
disaster. Sunday, I slacked off on semi-constant radio time, just too little
reward.
  Not to jinx us, but I think there was enough PVRC activity to win the club
competition. I was surprised to rank high in my category on 3830; everyone in
the USA had poor conditions. Most ops were very good except for a few
overly slow meticulous ones on phone. Thanks to all for the QSO's and hope we
actually get some Es to save the day next year (during the contest!).

73 and happy holidays, Jeff