[3830] ARRL 10 K3CCR M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 13 11:57:40 EST 2017

ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD

   CW:  160    31
  SSB:   17     5
-------------------
Total:  177    36  Total Score = 24,264

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC.

N3UM and W3GB operated Multi-1 in ARRL 10 m. 2017. The first hour
went OK with 7 mults and 42 CW QSOs, 36 of them running. But
after that runs ended after 10 or so Qs, and clicking spots
would clear the band map in a few minutes or tens of minutes.
We got 12 to 17 Qs in parts of 5 hours, and 5 to 8 in others.
Our BIC time was just 8.5 hr. due to these slow rates and breaks
for non-ham-radio things.

Two-thirds of our 177 QSOs were VHF-style LOS/Tropo in MD, VA,
PA, and NJ with 46, 46, 17, and 10 Qs respectively.

We got 8 Qs in FL and 1 to 4 QSOs in the other 17 states and
3 VE provinces we worked by either meteor scatter or weak
sporadic E (hard to tell). In the east (W1 thru W4) we missed
RI, SC, and TN. To the west we got IL, WI, and LA but no further.

F-layer propagation was rare and quite brief. We got just
5 countries in SA plus V5, Namibia. Due to few and weak SSB
signals and even fewer spots, only 10% of our Qs were on SSB.
Made one freak SSB DX QSO, CX, with one call!