[3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 13 22:19:43 EST 2017

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC

Total:  QSOs = 495  Sections = 61  Countries = 4  Total Score = 61,750

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My first serious effort in this 'Test (that is, I worked the whole second night)
was in 2014.  My score has dropped every year since then, but I think condx have
worsened over those four years, even though noise was very low this year.
Particularly, in 2014 I worked several West Coast Sections, and even a European
or two.  Last year I was zero-for-California. This year I worked only two
Sections west of the Mountain Barrier: SDG and OR.  At one point I repeatedly
called a Californian who would either CQ in my face or work a JA.  That's
discouraging.

There were, however, four highlights.  First was my "fresh meat"
opening run Saturday night.  My usual 2345Z start was delayed by some family
chores.  I found a little hole, called CQ, and was answered by N3QE at 0110Z.
In the next 59 clock minutes I had another 135 QSOs, probably my best rate
ever.  My typing/N1MM skills slowed me down more than did my pileup skills.  My
newness ran out a couple of minutes later, and I took 30 minutes off.

Second highlight came as I tuned across a little pileup.  I heard former
Marylander (and Multi-Multi partner) K5RT say "Steve" to the runner.
Well, there are not so many Steves active in these contests.  I listened for a
few more QSOs, barely able to hear the runner -- just an occasional whisper out
of the noise.  Then I heard him say "5NN AK".  Then somebody he worked
sent the runner's call; of course -- KL7SB.  To me, that counts as having heard
AK on 160M.  (No, I did not bother to call him, and I think the only station I
heard him work east of the Great Lakes was a VE3 or VE2.)

Third highlight was getting called by EA7KW during a run, loud enough to get
through the North Americans.  Big signal; better ears.  That was the only
European I heard!  Other DX was ZF, C6, and PJ2.

Fourth highlight was getting called by GTA and NNY.  (Where were you in SS??)

I noticed a large number of EPA and a lot of SNJ and NNJ.  I see from other
comments here that FRC turned out for this one.  Thanks for the QSOs.