[3830] MnQP K0LD(WA0MHJ) Mobile Single Xmtr LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 6 22:23:39 EST 2017

Minnesota QSO Party

Call: K0LD
Operator(s): WA0MHJ
Station: K0LD

Class: Mobile Single Xmtr LP
QTH: MN

  160:       0       0
   80:      15       0
   40:     197       0
   20:      78       0
   15:       0       0
   10:       0       0
-------------------------
Total:     290       0  Mults = 50  Total Score = 29,000

Well, the Murphy affliction to the Mobiles have been well documented. Here is my
story. Spent time over two days puzzled on having no rig to laptop
communication. Finally, I tried a USB to COMM interface, and then learned the
COMM port of the laptop used for years had died. I was much more worried about
a brand new vehicle and antenna mount. Would there be noise? Will the antenna
mount be secure in the 20+ MPH cross winds @ 70MPH? The only thing I seemed to
not share with my comrades was poor band conditions. I started out gangbusters
with very loud signals on 40 and no noise. 20 was quiet, but signals were down
a bit. Just before noon local time, after a pit stop, the CW began getting
flaky. I determined that if I kept pressure on the plug going into the radio,
that it would work fine. Unfortunately it kept getting worse. When I decided to
unplug the connector from the radio, the jack started pulling out with it!.
After all of this wiggling, I ended up with no CW at all, so called it quits
and headed home. I see after doing an internet search,that I am not the first
person who has encountered this issue. Hopefully we will be repaired and ready
for WIQP in a month. 73 WA0MHJ