[3830] RTTY WPX NE5LL(N1CC) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 12 17:40:51 EST 2017

CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: NE5LL
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: NE5LL

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Texas

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 running 5.0 Watts to F12 C-3 @64' and to 80/40 N/S
Fan
Dipole at 50' height, 43' DXEngineering Vertical w/tuner at base, and 160 Meter

Inverted L (Used on 40M for low angle needs).  WriteLog V12.13B with internal
RTTYRite now working.  PacketCluster and RBN (for checking my S/N
periodically).

Again, this is the first of three contests this year that I will use Linda's
call as it has "unique" value as a Prefix.

I wanted to see if I could improve over last years QRP effort, so once again
charged into the weekend full-tilt for 18-hours at 5.0 Watts output.  The first
night was slow as I discovered that 40/80 were not working well for me.  Then, I
found that 20M was working well during the day, except very few DX stations
could hear me ... different than last years results. A reversal of technique
was needed, 80% of the time I was "running" because breaking the
pileups was not as effective as last year.

This resulted in 35% more contacts and 30% more prefixes - in more time
operating. Yes, 2016's eleven hours yielded QPH average of 18 and this year's
eighteen hours only 17 QPH. By the same token, Prefix rate in 2016 was 13 PPH
and 2017 was down to 11 PPH.  Tells me that had I added 7 more hours last year,
the score would have been higher.

Twenty Meters was "King" once again.  Overall 80, 40, and 20 were
better than last year.  15 Meters fell by 66% and I never heard any signals on
10 Meters.  Thus the decline in solar activity begins to take it's toll. As
well, the lower bands were very long, and this became a North America event for
nearly all contacts, per the table below:

          80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    NA      39     55    172      9      0     275    89.9
    SA       0      0      2      9      0      11     3.6
    OC       0      0      2      1      0       3     1.0
    AS       0      0      2      0      0       2     0.7
    EU       0      0      3      9      0      12     3.9
    AF       0      0      1      2      0       3     1.0

Most years the winter months bring many DX contacts on 80/40 ... not in the
cards for Texas inland this year.  Last year 30% of my WPX contacts were
outside of North America.

Now, if I come in at the same point as last year in standings (#2 USA, #1
5-Land) the extra effort is well worth the time.  QRP adds a challenge to
getting it done!