[3830] RTTY WPX K0KB SOAB(R) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 12 21:05:28 EST 2017

CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: K0KB
Operator(s): K0KB
Station: K0KB

Class: SOAB(R) HP
QTH: Iowa

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Rookie Category: first licensed February 2, 2016.

I had not planned to operate this contest.  I was supposed to be in Arizona for
a business convention and some R&R but came down with THE MUMPS!  Apparently
it has not been eradicated and even if vaccinated you can still get it!  My wife
and daughter were going to spend a little time of their own out of town anyhow
so that gave me the weekend to myself.  Being ill I didn't expect to put in a
full effort but as the weekend progressed the mumps did not.

I've been in a few contests but never a rtty contest so the learning curve was
a bit steep.  I'm also no expert with N1MM... didn't break out the
"check" function until the last two hours and wish I had done it from
the very beginning!  I am somewhat familiar with the bands and becoming more
familiar with each contest and each day spent DXing so I knew roughly where and
when the openings would be, but knowing more precisely when to check rather than
within a few hours would have netted me considerably more Qs.  I also didn't
know that everyone came out of the woodwork at the end of contests.  I thought
it would be dead and didn't leave enough time to operate at the end when it was
really crazy... BIG BIG mistake!

My station I spent so much time building this last year operated absolutely
flawlessly.  The bands were also DARN GOOD I thought!  They got better through
the weekend.  I was not expecting that, but finally a chance to run some EU!  I
don't know if this is what it's like at solar max, but if so... sign me up!

Thank you to everyone behind the scenes that puts these contests together and
thanks to everyone that got on to pass out Qs!