[3830] RTTY WPX NW6P M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 13 02:57:56 EST 2017

CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): NW6P WX5S
Station: NW6P

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

NW6P and I, WX5S had some WL/MMTTY configuration issues at the start, but K2RD
came to the rescue! Thanks Ira!

N6ST (Steve Thomas) and his son, Spencer dropped by on Saturday afternoon.
Spencer (age 15) hadn't seen a functioning ham radio station before although
his dad, N6ST has 348 countries on the ARRL DXCC Honor Roll. There are some
CC&R issues at the current N6ST QTH (like we haven't heard that story
before!).

Anyway I explained the NW6P station to Spencer... what the various boxes and
computer displays did, etc. I made a few Q's. Then I asked Spencer to change
seats with me. He got to make some Q's himself!  Of course I helped translate
the ham lingo for him (e.g. QSL TU QRZ CQ) and gave some big hints on what
buttons to push etc.

Having the young guy actually push the buttons and transmit himself made the
whole experience a LOT more real to him rather than just watching me do it.

There is a big difference between "watching and doing". It is
completely legal for an unlicensed person to make contacts under the
supervision of an appropriate control op.

I hope we have a new ham in the making! If that happens, then WPX RTTY was a
HUGE success!, 73 Matt WX5S