[3830] RTTY WPX W1DYJ SOAB(TS) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 13 16:51:16 EST 2017

CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: ME

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

RIG: TS590S
ANTENNAS:
	 80, 20, 10 - fan dipole at 30'
	 40, 15 - 1/4 lambda vertical, 4 elevated radials at 10'

TIC: ~13 hours
100% S&P: And completed a QSO with pretty much all stations heard
Logger: N7YG Digital Engine >> CQ WPX Contest Log Version 4.1

My first attempt at the CQ WPX RTTY and I felt I did OK; still getting used to

RTTY.  Whereas PH is raucous, and CW is still intense for me, RTTY contesting
is
almost too slow.  I found that just moving up the waterfall was the most useful

S&P method, as clicking on a spotted station (or the band map) really
didn't put
you where the station was transmitting.

Nothing was heard on 10, 15 was OK, 80 was noisy as expected, so 40 & 20
were the more useful bands.  Never heard a W1 or W2, or local states ME, CT,
RI, VT!

And why do some stations send their exchange as 599-nnn-nnn rather than 599 nnn

nnn.  With the dashes, the software can't grab the serial number.  Plus, there
were many stations who didn't confirm the QSO -- and went right to the next
QSO.
As the SN was one higher than mine, I assumed they really did get my SN, but
who
knows?  (Only the LCR knows...)

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ