[3830] ARRLDX CW K8MR SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 19:29:04 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FL

  160:    1     1
Total:  437   180  Total Score = 235,980

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Operated from the Sarasota Bay waterfront park. Two sessions, Saturday evening
from dusk and Sunday morning to early afternoon. K3 at about 50 watts for the
most part, as the Prius battery wouldn't allow much more. Saturday I used a 43
ft vertical wire, Sunday two verticals for 15 and 20. 40 was real nice, I could
run a few, and cracked a huge pileup to 9K2NO by XITing up 200 Hz. The K3 tuner
took 160 from 25:1 to 7:1, which XE2X managed to pull through after a number of
tries.

Sunday was interesting for more than DX. When I arrived, the area next to me
had a shiny Yamaha motorcycle parked by the edge of the water, with a small
group of guys who looked more professional than the average motorcycle club.
And a thin but very well endowed young lady in a small top, very short shorts,
and black high heels. Turns out they were doing an advertising photo shoot. I
had a good time watching the girl in love with the motorcycle, especially after
she removed  the shorts and T-shirt. Still not as good as the topless ladies at
HI/K8MR a few years back, but still better than the view in your average
contest shack.

73  -  Jim  K8MR