[3830] ARRLDX CW K5YAA SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 20:33:43 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OK

Total: 1506   337  Total Score = 1,522,566

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

10-160 in surprisingly good shape. If you studied the numbers they didn't match
up to the action. 20 was my Q king yet 40 AND 15 produced more multipliers. 15
was quite a surprise at least here, and having 10 open added to the all band
numbers. Years have passed and since I have never operated for 48 straight
"in the chair" I took time to rest and enjoyed several hours Friday
evening with the XYL for dinner and a show.

Once again, the crowd was pretty well behaved minus a grumper who said in the
Morse using BOLD LETTERS, "QSY" right in my face after I had been
rolling along on one of the higher 20 meter frequencies for almost two hours. I
asked, as I always do Call? U? and received the same untempered response,
"ASS UR A LID". All I asked was his identity. A bit of sleuth work
discovered the Call? and the U? who it was. If people weren't calling me I
would maybe have helped the guy out with his obvious broad receiver, maybe I
would have helped, but a crowd was sustained for most of those couple of hours.
An AZ big boy, unnamed, but one who has been known to try and shove people
around. He needs first to fix his TX then come see me if he feels I am in his
pathway to Europe. He was up about a KC maybe even more, easy enough for a K3s
RX but his hammer was thumping away right on top of my callers. After several
minutes, way too long IMO, he decided to shift up a ways. Good, now I can hear.
Anyway you were a late comer to the real estate. Let the guy up from him deal
with the thump thump whack whack. Not an Arizona Outlaw, as those fellows don't
mind sharing a breakfast with a passer thru. I'm pretty sure they know him
though.

Now back to the good stuff. Using a Vee over the years on 80 and 160 I had
never heard a JA on 160 from here. Perhaps I hadn't tried hard enough, those
160 guys are tenacious and patient as a rock you know. Several TX guys and
fellows in NM feast on JAs on 160 and have the times and frequency ranges down
pat. Behold, Sunday AM around our sunrise, JA3YBK and several other JAs were
stout in here. I could hardly believe my ears but merrily logged them. Europe
wasn't quite as strong Saturday night as the past couple of weeks on 160 but
several good signals even to the North and East.

80 too was quite productive, much moreso than past years. So, you would think
with low band warmth the uppers would be bland. Not so as 15 started rocking
early each morning and produced for most of the daylight hours. I did not look
at 10 on Saturday morning but found a multitude of mults Sunday mid morning and
for several hours action pursued most all to the South less D4C.

Another, in the past thing that fell, was the lack of a list of those worked on
all six bands. A decent list this year. They include a number of Caribbean
setups as in: PJ4X, PJ2T, P40R, P40L, KP2M, then out West Lloyd and crew KH6LC.
5 time Qs were ZF1A, VP5K, P40W, 8P5A and TI5W. These from a quick look in the
log as there may be others. I have never listed 6 and 5 timers because it
seemed never to happen in the numbers large enough to make a list. One call or,
at the most, two does not a list make.

A real treat was Europe LP on 40 meters late Saturday evening and into the
early  hours. Now and then a JA or UA0 would call in between great numbers of
European callers. Big signals and the first real experience with LP to just
about anywhere. Like 160 tools and tenacity I employ little in the way of humm,
"Wonder if LP might actually be a possibility". I have had it happen
though most of the time to VK over Europe on 20 from here.

Another hoot, there's no more fun than hearing 5 watt QRPers call in with
pretty fair signals that stand out in the crowd. Several from Europe and JA.
The more notable 5 watters into Oklahoma were: ON6NL, HB9BMY and OK2FD. Wowser,
5 watts huh? 40 meters no less with ON6NL and OK2FD on three bands. I can see
the folks in New England chuckling at me now but hey, this is out here in
flyover country and to have these guys make the trip on 40 meters with a meager
5 watts is a treat or as we all like to say, much fun! There were a few power
house QRPers running 10 and even way up to 20 and 25 watts.

No 100 country bands worked here but mostly just ran and no spotting assistance
so there well could have been over a hundred on 40/20 and 15. Will have to look
at K3LR and W3LPLs and a couple of other expansive reports. Amazing, those guys
dig 'em out of the trenches.

40 gets my vote for the upcoming years. Saturday night it sounded like 20 as
the whole world was coming in for hours. Activity seemed elevated from past
DXCW tests.

Thanks ARRL and to the people behind the scenes for each of you and your work
on ARRL DX CW. Still a very good one.

73 - Jerry K5YAA

Rig: Dual K3s, Alphas 9500s, 8el 10, 6el 15, 6el 20, 3el 40 Force 12 and Vees
at 80' for 80 and 160. A DX Engineering 4 square for ears to Europe which has
really helped the ears on 80. N1MM+ for logging and that's really all a fellow
needs for a weekend of fun.