[3830] ARRLDX CW C6AKQ(N4BP) SOSB/160 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 08:01:29 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: C6AKQ
Operator(s): N4BP
Station: C6AKQ

Class: SOSB/160 LP
QTH: DX
Operating Time (hrs): ~20

   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  666    56  Total Score = 111,888

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Because of 2nd harmonic interference to C6AUM's (K4RUM) 40M station, a last
minute decision was made to put me on 160.  Tim (C6ARU/N4UM) wound some
insulated wire around a 2X4 wood deck rail for a base loading coil on the 80M
inv-L and fed it with an open wire coil configured as an auto transformer.  We
were able to obtain a perfect match and the interference problem was solved.
But static crashes on 160 Friday night were relentless!  After the big guns
were logged, pulling signals from the noise was pure torture and many QSOs were
busted.  At 2AM Saturday, I took a two hour break and went back to the pain from
4 to 7.  When the sun came up, I had 443 QSOs and 50 mults in the log. Saturday
night, the static wasn't quite so loud and I was able to add six more mults and
brought the QSO total to its final number.  But at 5:45AM, the SWR shot up.  I
quickly discovered in the dark that the wire had come down.  Tim had tied the
support string directly to the horizontal portion of the L.  Salt spray and
rain had made the string conductive and it was burned through by the high
voltage on the end of the wire.  Game over.
Mults missed in   US: ND, NE, NV.      VE: MB, NT, NU, YT.
Played a bit on 15 & 20 Sunday afternoon.