[3830] ARRLDX CW KG4ZK SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 09:01:37 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KG4ZK
Operator(s): KG4ZK
Station: KG4ZK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guantanamo

Total: 1160   161  Total Score = 560,280

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After an uneventful trip down, Murphy struck, and my venerable FT-100D travel
rig showed no output.  It worked fine when I ws in Ireland last July.  Jim
KG4AW (KG9LB) very kindly let me use his station for several hours, and I got
some time in on 15, 20, 40 and finished up on a very noisy 80 meters.  I had
hoped to get in some time on 160, but condx here were miserable, and after
traveling Friday for almost 20 ours, I just ran out of gas.

I was also plagued by problems with my CMOS4 keyers, and I'll be lucky if I'm
not drummed out of FOC for some of what came out while the keyers were acting
up. Most people were very patient, though, and stayed with me.

The three of us plan to be active as much as possible through at least Thursday
morning and will focus on low bands when they are open.  I would like to finish
up WAS and DXCC from down here this trip.

Thanks everyone for the Qs and for your patience.

Vy 73
Don KG4ZK/W4ZYT