[3830] ARRLDX CW MM2N(MM0GPZ) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 10:59:53 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: MM2N
Operator(s): MM0GPZ
Station: MM2N

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Muasdale

   20: 1302    61
Total: 1302    61  Total Score = 237,168

I really enjoy this contest and I have operated portable from same site for the
previous 2 years. It is on the west coast so verticals work amazingly well. I
arrived on Thursday night with GM0RLZ who was GM5A 80 SB in test although he
originally planned 15m. We had a 2 VDAs setup and working by 12:30 on Friday
and were getting great reports late Friday evening saying I was very loud on
20.
I listened at the start but it was just about totally dead although I worked
NR4M ESP then abandoned till the morning. Band started opening about 10:15 with
a few few stations logged but it kicked off nicely at 11:20am. Then I had 6
hours with well over 100 an hour. Band was really poor by 21:15 so stopped with
910 in log and 61 states who all called me. Sunday was much harder and slower
and it loads of CQ'ing with no replies for minutes at a time being the case
often. In spite of being pretty loud presumably, it didn't stop several very
loud stations just giving a single QRL then CQ in spite of my protestations. So
while winning some frequency fights and giving up other times I realised just
how many EU stations have really bad key clicks while searching for a new
calling frequency. I actually started to think I'm must be self defeating by
having a K3 with a clean output as everyone crowds right up to you. By me
having a K3, everyone else benefits and can creep right up on you. Perhaps I
should consider purchasing an unmodified FT1K as that undoubtedly will create
some space around myself. Joke.
450 QSO's Sunday was much harder work and I had the feeling I was running out
of people to work.
1362 QSO's - 60 dupes. Missed NT and NU.