[3830] ARRLDX CW K4HQK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 11:38:38 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

   40:    7     7
   20:    0     0
   15:   11     7
   10:   14     8
-------------------
Total:  123    76  Total Score = 28,044

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Limited participation, mainly to test a new 80m dipole. Propagation was
interesting, with 80m hot to EU Friday night until I began hearing LP+SP signal
wobble around 2200EST, some unreadably wobbly. Saturday 0630 on 80m heard
western states, then Hawaii booming in around 0645 and worked five, plus AK.
Heard several JAs 0705-0725 but pileups defeated me. Sunday a.m. signals from
Pacific were half as strong as Saturday, mostly worked by Midwestern/Western
stations.

Also on Sunday morning, 80m was plagued with an awful noise that may have been
Russian over-the-horizon radar�"-S9 at times.

10 meters opened Saturday morning thanks to TEP, proving strong to
Caribbean/S.A. but then closed early, around 1400EST. Sunday it was open most
of the day in that direction. No EU ever.

73 all . . . John K4HQK / Alexandria ,Va.

Equipment:
Icom 7410
Ameritron ALS-600 amplifier
80 meter dipole