[3830] ARRLDX CW N3BB SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 21 08:58:25 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX

   80:   24     9
Total:  466   146  Total Score = 203,232

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

We had our granddaughter and a friend visiting here to run in the Austin
Marathon/Half-Marathon,so any time available for the ARRL DX contest was
limited. The conditions on the low freq bands and 20 meters seemed good.  I
learned that I have a serious noise source to the NW on 15 meters, and listened
to K5TR run JAs Saturday afternoon when all I could hear was a solid S7-8 rasp.
Only a very few were copy-able here. Clearly that's a problem that must get
solved before any serious DX contests on the high bands.

All in all, the new  Optibeam tri-band yagi worked well on 15 and 10, and the
good old 20 meter stack was terrific. Twenty meters was open and run-able to EU
Saturday morning from 12-18Z. Not bad for W5. In my brief time on 15, the action
clearly was to southern EU. As several people have mentioned, RU1A was workable
quite far to the north and east.

Heard N5AW running JAs on 40 Sunday morning and dropped by to briefly say
"GL," etc. Marv told me that his new KW amp had failed only three
hours into the contest, and it was amazing to hear him carrying on carrying on
(as they say) with his 100W. Many of us would have checked out with that sort
of development.

73, Jim N3BB