[3830] CQ160 SSB N1CC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 26 00:16:35 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TEXAS

Total:  QSOs = 54  State/Prov = 22  Countries = 2  Total Score = 2,880

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3 @ 100.  WriteLog V12.13b.  Antenna:  Inverted L 50' vertical, 78'
horizontal.  Feedpoint at 10' and 8 x 64' tuned elevated radials with a inline
choke.  SWR at 1.810 = 1:1.  This transmit antenna has helped the past two
seasons.  Although my location is quiet on 7 MHz and up, on 160 and 80 I have a
very bed nearby noise emanatory.  Dollar General, with all of the "new'
ballast fluorescent lights left on 24-hours a day.  My local power provider, an
RUS, Trinity Valley Electric Cooperative has been helpful, in part through my
teaching them how to find the noise - that resulted in their head tech going to
noise school and now he is very good at finding an fixing.  He can't fix Dollar
General, and my only hope is to drive them off somehow.

I have a BOG and a PRO-1B loop, with a combination of these and an MFJ Noise
canceller, I can sometimes reduce the steady S9 +40 noise on 160M to S9.  I am
looking into other antenna solutions for receive enhancement as I am on 7 acres
and should have room.

TVEC was going to come out this past week, however, severe WX hit the area and
the work crews were still busy trying to fix all the downed lines and other
wind-related problems to the power system.  They are coming back out to look at
gathering evidence against Dollar General, and I may have to report them to FCC
if that evidence supports that solution -- much less cost than big RX arrays
and more canceller technology.

The end result, my ears were cooked to "well done" by midnight local
on Friday, and I gave up the effort.