[3830] CQ160 SSB VE9AA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 26 08:54:02 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 2:10

Total:  QSOs = 101  State/Prov = 28  Countries = 6  Total Score = 16,796

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

SO1R, very part time effort Friday night only.

Can anyone say QRN?

I don't usually get on for vy long in this one, but when even W1's are hard to
work, then it was time to pull the big switch.

Notable big signals from far away stns that were relatively easy to work (given
the relentless brick wall of QRN here)
OK7K
NA7TB
WD5COV

My bread and butter #'s of QSO's area in W3/northern W4 were really tough to
work from here and I knew I was in trouble when I got on, and after 10 or 20
Q's had a small 'packet pileup' of maybe 10 guys, then nothing.  I guess I
wasn't being heard. (or a lot of the 100w and QRP guys were not BEING heard?)

The QRN was almost a solid s9 wall. (ie: one solid crash with almost no
let-up)and signal levels just weren't there.  The night before during the NCCC
NS ladder condx were pretty good and I was hopeful for this one and so prepared
myself to put in a longer effort than usual if I could sustain even 1 Q/minute
rate.....didn't happen.

Worked several EU just before their sunrise, but Friday was a long day and I
did not stay up any later.  Too much gg on Sat to get on and I won't be back on
during full sun later today.

Antennas for Radio #1:
160m = Wire 2-el array of inverted L’s in the trees (Comtek w/ homebrew
controller)
No RX antennas

Rig IC-7410  N3ZN ZN-9 paddle, Yamaha CM500 headset, N1MM+ logger

CU (all of  sudden) in the next one!

dit dit

-Mike VE9AA in NB ( FN66 for you VHFers out there )