[3830] ARRLDX CW V43Z(NP4Z) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 26 13:54:57 EST 2017

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: V43Z
Operator(s): NP4Z
Station: V43Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: v4

   20: 1570    61
   15: 1204    61
Total: 4881   331  Total Score = 4,846,833

Club: Los chachos

Comments:

It was intended as a serious operation but knew that a severe noise we had
towards
USA could make it difficult for it to be a successful one.  Anyway, it was a
discovery mission to see the condition of the station , plan future upgrades
and get the power company people to fix the problem. After installing new mono
banders last year the noise problem towards the USA only got worse but also the
performance of the station had also improved quite noticeable on those bands.

This is a pretty remote site and as Andy says there are always surprises,
remember calling Andy and kidding him about no surprises this year, everything
was working right and seemed great. Soon it was evident that something was up..
an hour before the contest I noticed that my new usb switch was freezing after
200w out. That I couldn't solve, so it was 200 -250 w  all weekend. After that
It was and allergy attack, a centipede attack and to close the weekend the
monkey attack messing with the garbage bags and stuff at the site.

Of course the highlight was me deciding to use TTT, I am known to use many
different weird numbers during arrl, but to be honest I wasn't expecting to
create such a fuss, after all 000 could only mean one thousand, it couldn't
mean 2k because it would have been illegal power
ti sign 2k, so it was simple, I send 000 people write three zero’s and that
was it…
Was I wrong.. I was heavily harassed by operators engaging me in full sentences
trying  to get an explanation or being called stupid by a KE3, any way, spent a
significant portion of the contest explaining.. I thought of changing a couple
of hours into it , but it would have created a problem for the ones that had
already copied 000.
Still getting tons of emails of pissed up people asking for clarification. hi
hi.. Also noticed on the skimmer results for the weekend that for some reason
the V43Z call is getting a lot less spots than the rest.

Anyway I paid the price, but that didn't took away the fun of a weekend by
myself in the mountains of Beautiful St. Kitts, surrounded by nature and
multiple creatures, And spending some time with local Ham friends. At the end
managed to get the power people engaged in solving the noise problem, so next
visit is on WPX SSB. Thanks to Andy, Joel KAI and Terry KBP
for their help 73’s

Felipe
NP4Z/V43Z