[3830] CQ160 SSB N6KI Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 26 19:24:45 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N6KI
Operator(s): N6KI
Station: N6KI

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: CA

Total:  QSOs = 258  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 8  Total Score = 33,495

Club: San Diego Contest Club

Comments:

I knew this was going to be one tough slog....what with my transmit antenna
having a 10 to 1 SWR but getting out fine as I was received in ZL with S4 to S5
signal strength....go figure. Inspection of the wire antenna a week ago show no
component failure to cause the mismatch other than 2 72 ft elements from my 40
mtr yagi were removed for repair several l years ago and now I'm thinking they
made up a great capacitive hat for my 160 wire !!! I was also fighting a solid
S8 to S9 noise level that I think is coming from electrical equipment in a
quarry in canyon behind my QTH.....that battle is soon to start to get the
quarry to replace hardware after 40 years of no maintenance ! Using an JPS
NIR-4 Noise Reduction unit and every noise reduction circuit the K3 has to
offer I managed to pull many stations out from under the noise but wait'll next
year when I hopefully have antenna and noise situation resolved ! Best DX was
RW0CF and C6Y1M. K3 - ACOM 2000A - Crazy Zig Zag Sloper off 70 ft Tower apex
that wanders all over my small city lot !