[3830] CQ160 SSB NQ6N Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 27 01:41:21 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: NQ6N
Operator(s): NQ6N
Station: NQ6N

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 1:30

Total:  QSOs = 65  State/Prov = 35  Countries = 6  Total Score = 7,339

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The highlight for me was discovering a source of 160m RFI.  My cable modem
apparently generates RFI on 160. I'd checked carefully before, but this noise
was well hidden by the CW filter (most of my gear usually stays in CW mode). It
was very noticeable with the rig set to SSB bandwidth.

I wrapped the modem in aluminum foil, and the noise vanished when I connected
the foil wrapping to the shield of the catv coax.

Finding the RFI made the band quiet down a bit, and so it's a tremendous
relief, and I am very much looking forward to more fun on top band.  Even the
prospect of another Maunder minimum doesn't seem so bad now that I have a few
more dB of SNR.