[3830] CQ160 SSB F6GOX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 27 14:41:46 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: F6GOX
Operator(s): F6GOX
Station: F6GOX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: France
Operating Time (hrs): 26:28

Total:  QSOs = 585  State/Prov = 19  Countries = 58  Total Score = 238,700

As a preamble to some comments on this very pleasant CQ-160-SSB 2017, I would
like to thank the many hams who have called me. They probably felt to my vocal
enthusiasm that a good score was possible. Thank you to all my friends for
their help and encouragement. It was thanks to them that I greatly improved my
scores for 2015 and 2016.

When to know what my place will be this year after the correction, it depends
on so many factors independent of my will that my main objective remains to
fight against myself. It's a game, do not forget it! On this aspect of the
ranking, thank you to Michel TM5X @ F6AGM for going on vacation in the sun this
weekend and to Olivier F1AKK, aka TM6M @ F6KHM for having the good idea for me
to choose the SO-LP category... Indeed these two hams are much better. It seems
difficult to make a first score elsewhere in the country than outside the
location and equipment @ F6KHM, just opver the atlantic ocean. The share to the
operator seems remain in my opinion a small percentage. Being the only F in
SO-HP, I have a chance to be the first French, without great merit ...

Congrats to Peter DJ7WW for his score just behind me. Luckily for me, he went
to bed before his second sunrise.Otherwise, it is certain that he vwould have
beaten me...

The station was changed to an inverted V quarter-wave antenna connected to a
large metal groundplane. I simply extended by 20m the quarter wave 80m used
last week when ARRL 80m SSB matched at one end. This gives a "patato"
radiation lobe, rather good for the Dx but insufficient in local because of the
3dB less between 70 and 90 °. A simple dipole sorely missed me. I spent too
much time in "RUN" without hearing any response ...

The reception was on this TX antenna and also on a DHDL antenna of my design.
The front / rear and side ratios are better than those of the classic design. I
will have to publish this drawing one of these days ...

The first night, I really discover a lot of people: the band is completely
covered! But I cannot run outside 1810-1850... I have contacted 303 stations
for 46 DXCC and 14 S/P. In the hubbub of the European QRM, a Marsien appears at
01.20z: VY2ZM (PEI) which calls me with a very good signal. Just like calls from
3V8CB at 01.31z and UP2L at 02.33z. It will be necessary for me to wait 04.20z
with KW7MM / VY2 (PEI) and N2CEI (FL) to open the North American bal l Then 22
NA stations contacted for 14 S / P up to 06.52z. NP2X, KP4KE and C6ANA are also
in the DXCC table. I miss ME, MN, NS and XE2X ... A special thanks for Gildas,
F6HMQ and Michel, F6GWV, from TO3Z @ FG, qso to 05.07z, because it is a rare
DXCC on 160m.

The second night will give 229 qso, for 11 DXCC and 5 S/P. RA9BA, ER3CQ, TK5AP,
GI0THZ, R9MJ (17) call me. I also contact 6Y1M at 03.40z and XE1RKS at 06.35z.
I'm missing NS and VY2IF, the last one only correctly takes 4 letters out of
five of my call sign...

The third night was difficult: it has been raining since the afternoon and the
QRN is very intense. 70 qso only will be contacted with a single DXCC: TF3SG
(40). In S/P mode, I start in the pile-up at 21.38z when I hear TF and I ask
him to repeat slowly its indicative, beacause I'm afraid to badly note it thru
the pile-up and lose this precious multiplier ... And it will ! A big thank you
to the operator for his kindness. I missed EK6SI, heard correctly but did not
hear me.

At least, 58 DXCC. States were AR FL IL KS MA MD NH NJ NY OH PA RI SC TX VA VT.
Canadian Provinces were QC, ON, PEI.

And the last qso, for a tired man, was HG17EYOF! Yes you read well !! I made
him repeat three times !! A real torture to close this contest ...

No station heard from far Asia, Pacific, Latin America or Africa ... Probably
the limit of DHDL antennas versus BEVs of 200-300m lenght ...

By 2015, I had lost 7.9% of my score after correction. Only 3.7% of losses in
2016. So I hope to go underneath again 2017. That's why I often had to repeat
your callsign, to decrease the penalties...

The next challenge at the 2017 CQ-160-SSB will be the 250,000 point mark. This
is not easy because I will have to look for the very far dxcc multipliers. But
together we will get there!

Best of all 73 and all for the pleasure of an upcoming contest.

F6GOX Laurent