[3830] RTTY Roundup N6WM(@N6RO) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 8 20:39:24 EST 2017

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N6WM
Operator(s): N6WM
Station: N6RO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Oakley, CA

Total: 2006  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 40  Total Score = 190,570

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

After entering the assisted category last year, I decided to give a go to he
SOHP category, flying blind so to speak, and give my flex 6700 an so2r workout.
 Also had 2 k3's but any effort to go beyond 2 radios resulted in loss of qrg..
and leaving callers hanging.. not ok.

>From the "never do this if you are going to be competitive category",
I woke up at 3 am the day before the contest and took the wife and kids up for a
single day ski trip.  Well it turns out I am not the spry young feller I was,
and I was pretty worn out after our ski day, but as they say, the show must go
on, but I was tired from the start.

Chose to work late on day one hoping for EU on 40, but experimented with the
early rise to run JA.  I am not sure that did alot for me as I had to cut short
the contest.  EU on 40 Didn't really happen.  Continue to power through because
of course there would be a nice EU run on 20 right?  NOT!  Turns out that I was
fortunate to work maybe a few handfuls of EU, enough to make a difference.

We had some antenna issues with wind on the 140 ft towers, and rotors than need
replacement.  its kind of like an antenna lottery when the winds kick up!

On the bright side, when the going gets tough, there are no meters like 10
meters. great when folks show up and the band is wide open domestically and to
South America.

Overall marginal DX conditions, kind of OK domestic conditions made this into
RTTY "sweepstakes" + JA and a few others...

Anyway thanks for the Q's.. and most importantly N6RO for the great station and
chili.

73 and seeya next time

Chris
N6WM