[3830] RTTY Roundup W1DYJ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 10 10:44:51 EST 2017

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Woburn, EMA

Total:  191  State/Prov = 42  Countries = 11  Total Score = 10,123

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

100% S&P
 Rig: TS-2000
 Log: N7YG's Digital Engine w/API into N3FJP's ARRL RTTY contest Log
 Antennas:
   80/40  trapped 80/40M dipole @ 7m (modified Alpha Delta DX-CC]
   20  HB Moxon @ 12m
   15  Rotatable Dipole @ 11m
   10  HB 5el yagi @ 10m

I have never run RTTY before, with just a bit of PSK31 twelve years ago.  My
New Year's Resolution was to get into RTTY, so mid-last week I decided it was
time.  N7YG's new "Digital Engine", with it's short learning curve,
paired with N3FJP's new API worked well. I discovered that RTTY contesting is
rather laid back.  The time it takes to send the exchange keeps it this way --
at least if one is S&P'ing.

My TS-2000 is one of the first ones and has the original hardware start-up
delay when using the ACC2 Xmit control, so I added three spaces before any data
and this seemed to worked to an advantage as it added some "sync"
characters. I was also quite surprised at how many stations don't understand
how to use <CR>s to make text easier to read!

10 was quite useless, 40 was the go-to band, and I need a better antenna on 80.
 But it was fun. And I only need six more states for Digital WAS after one
weekend.  Interesting that I did not get RI, ME, VT, NJ. (Plus AK & DE for
WAS.)

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ