[3830] NAQP CW K8BKM Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 15 06:54:16 EST 2017

North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI

   15:   18     5
Total:  695   156  Total Score = 108,420

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC Team 2

Comments:

My first NAQP CW, and my first contest with a new (to me) Elecraft K3 that I
purchased in December, upgrading from a Yaesu FT-920.

I knew going into the contest that it would be a 10 hour sprint with non-stop
action since you can work everyone again on each band. My strategy was to run
nearly 100%, which I did, except a bit of S&P while I was looking for a run
frequency.

I started on 20m and got off to a slower start than I hoped. I QSY'd to 15 and
found less activity there. From there I made an early visit to 40m to work the
"locals" before the band went long, then when the rate dried up I
went back to 20 to be fresh meat. I made another early appearance on 80m before
sunset to work high-angle stuff before conditions changed, then went back to 40
to start working out west. I found success with this technique and repeated
with an early appearance on 160m.

With everyone limited to 100w, it was easy to hold a run frequency. I wasn't
run off my frequency once. This also levels the playing field and makes S&P
somewhat of a necessity, which I later realized I didn't do enough of. My rates
were just too good to give up and look around, but I'm sure I missed out on
some mults. My contesting mentor told me that moving stations to other bands
was a big part of the strategy to this contest, however I didn't do it once and
I was only asked once to move and the other station didn't show up - probably no
prop. Looking at my mult grid, I do see holes where I could have (maybe should
have) tried to move someone. I don't have enough experience with the K3 or
N1MM+ to be able to easily QSY and quickly come back to regain my run
frequency, if that's even possible. SO2R would probably make this easier, but
still more of a distraction than I might be able to handle proficiently.

The bands seemed to be in good shape for being far along the race to the bottom
of the cycle. At least the noise low and no QRN.

I like 100w contests. Didn't detect one alligator. I can confidently say that I
can work anything I hear. The K3 performed as I expected and lived up to its
stellar reputation as a world-class contest rig. I could wiggle right to an
open run freq with guys on either side of me and was never bothered. I ran with
the 400Hz filter the entire time.

I monitored the RBN network to see my own spots. I didn't think the use of
spots was permitted in this contest but I could tell some were running
assisted. I would start calling CQ on a new band or frequency and hear no
sudden wave of callers.

Thanks for the Q's

73, Tom
K8BKM