[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TO SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 23 11:46:16 EST 2017

ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: EL87
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  23     10
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  23     10  Total Score = 230

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Highlight of weekend was decoding 80 stations in 54 grids on MSK144 which I
downloaded Saturday night in the middle of the contest.  Quite exciting to see
KK4MA in EM92 30-40 times in a grid I've never heard on traditional modes.
K1TOL, K1SIX and N8JX were the farthest-away decodes which coincides well with
the limits of E-skip.  Coincidence?

Lowlight was realizing that they aren't really workable with low power.  I
worked *nobody* outside FL on any mode.  Didn't even get an MSK144 QSO started
with anyone outside FL and not even a ? on SSB or CW.

My interface for the xmit side consists of a clip lead to mic pin 1 from the
tip of the plug on a cable from the speaker jack on the laptop, so perhaps
there is room for improvement.

The neatest thing about MSK144 is its accuracy.  Unlike the HF Skimmers which
are constantly mis-decoding CW signals, MSK144 was perfect as far as I can
tell.

I will again post here that I encourage the ARRL to consider swapping this
event with the RTTY Roundup, so that the January VHF Test has a much better
shot of including a little E-skip action.  That would not hurt the RR at all
assuming it goes onto the CQ WW 160 CW weekend since the RR doesn't include
that band.  So far, this appears to have fallen on deaf ears.  Maybe if some of
you also agree and voice your opinion, then maybe something will be considered.

73, Dan