[3830] CQ160 CW K2AV Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 07:58:15 EST 2017

CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K2AV
Operator(s): K2AV
Station: K2AV

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1211  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 51  Total Score = 447,590

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow. Never heard US sunset or EU sunrise openings like that before. Going to be
some huge scores from the big guns.

I had 174 ten-pointers, 157 EU contacts, well over double previous best on
those. Not able to start until 0130Z "Friday night" due to grandson's
birthday party. No idea what I missed, but showing up as fresh meat at 0130Z was
a blast. Some 5 QSO minutes in there, MM best rates window of 300/216/165.
Sunday morning US sunrise had a nice little surge of new victims that put me
over 1200 Q's. This is a personal best for CQ160CW by quite a margin.

Missed NT, NU, YT from the St/Prov list, but never really expected to hear
them.

Was fun to work some friends across the US I knew were running QRP. I missed
some Friday night and caught the dickens in the Saturday email about it (I
heard you, how come you didn't hear me?). Tried harder and found most of the
rest Saturday night.

If sunspot minimum is going to be like this, I can live on 160 and low bands
until it's over. Was very nice not to have the July style QRN this weekend.
Thanks for all the Q's and the patience on the down-in-the-noise exchanges.

73, Guy.

Rig: K3 + Alpha 8410
Antenna: Inverted "L" over FCP.